A little about Emily

My photo
Belvidere, Illinois, United States
I think of myself as a happy, social person with a big heart and lively personality. I'm a loyal friend who keeps confidences and has a listening ear. Sometimes I give in to what many believe is an "Irish Temper" (thanks to my red hair) but is actually just a strong sense of right and wrong! I'm a sucker for romantic gestures. I love paintings and poetry and fairy tales. My husband was well trained in the art of becoming a prince charming, and he used this to win my heart. My kids know he still puts on a romantic flare once in a while to evoke laughs from them or kisses from me! My greatest joy in life is being a wife and mother. This is what I've always wanted to be. It can be so challenging and that's what makes it so rewarding. I'm willing to work hard for the things I believe in.

A little about Paul

Paul is a man of many talents, many hobbies, and many wonderful qualities. He has a wry sense of humor that those who know him well have come to appreciate. He is an excellent teacher and definitely chose the right profession as a college instructor. He is kind, caring, listens well and is always trying to improve himself. When Paul sets his mind to something, he accomplishes it. He has learned from others or taught himself many handy-man skills which he uses constantly on our home, yard, and cars-not to mention the kids toys. Paul loves to fly-fish, is an excellent shot with a gun and becoming one with a bow and arrow, too. He likes to hunt water fowl, turkeys and deer. He loves the outdoors and is an Eagle Scout. Paul also loves college football and is a true blue BYU fan. He serves in our church and sacrifices much time and energy in behalf of others. Best of all, Paul is a fabulous husband and father. He has his priorities strait and understands the importance of putting family first. As his wife I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful husband. It's hard not to love Paul!

Paul at Cape Cod

Paul at Cape Cod

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hannah gets her ear pierced



Yep, just one!!






This one already has an earring




This one doesn't have an earring






Feeling a little nervous...






It wasn't that bad afterall!





Here's the story:


When she was 20 months old, Emily took Hannah to get her ears pierced. Four months later, when Hannah turned two, Emily gave Hannah beautiful gold and garnet birthstone earrings for her second birthday. When she tried to change her earrings, strong-willed Hannah threw a huge fit and wouldn't let Emily get the second one in. Paul and Emily spent an entire week trying everything from bribing, to holding her down to sneaking in the middle of the night to try to slip the second earring in. No can do. Hannah went hysterical if we came near her ears. Eventually we gave up and took the first earring out (that is easier than putting one in). We had to let her ears grow shut.




Fast forward seven years: Hannah has been wanting her ears pierced for almost two years, but Emily said "no way. You had your chance and now you have to wait until I know you can take care of them on your own." Hannah actually didn't argue much because she's been so afraid that it would hurt. Finally she decided she wanted to have it done on her 10th birthday which is coming up in January. Knowing this, Grandma Kathy sent her a pair of earrings for Christmas, which Hannah happened to open early. She so loved the earrings and spent the day playing with them. By accident, she discovered that one of her ears is still pierced, as it slid into place when she was seeing what it would look like. Hannah was almost hysterical. "What do I do, Mom? Now I have only one earring in!!!" So that night we went and got the other ear pierced. Hannah was so scared she almost chickened out at the last second. Before she could change her mind, the lady had it done. She was shocked it was already over. She couldn't believe she worried so much and then it didn't even hurt. She had both earrings put in so they match and is taking great care of them. She can't wait til she can change out her earrings and is so glad Emily saved her birthstones!


Zoom in to see her first set of earrings!


2 comments:

Debbie said...

What a cute story. It was fun to see Hannah's baby pics too.

I loved chatting with you the other day, Emily. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Emily, it's so fun to find your blog (Thanks for the Christmas card), ours is pricefamily.typepad.com

You have a darling family!!